Education in Germantown is multi-layered and abounds in choices. Germantown is home to schools in both the Germantown Municipal School District (GMSD) and Shelby County Schools, three primary-level private schools, five special needs schools, nine preschool programs, a healthy homeschool population, the Union University Germantown campus and a variety of children’s and adult continuing education offerings from many sponsors. The leaders of many of these schools have expressed a desire to hold regular meetings to coordinate plans and share opportunities. Education providers in Germantown can only benefit from this continued cooperation and diversity.
- Improve the availability and awareness of education opportunities for adults and children in Germantown from all sources
- Police and Fire departments promote learning and safety and support the health and welfare of students and teachers
Timeline: 1 to 2 years
- Conduct a survey of all offerings in Germantown, prepare a plan to fill identified gaps
- The City responsibly provides financial support for GMSD’s facilities master plan
- Police and Fire Departments support safety on GMSD campuses and the health and welfare of students and teachers
- City departments collaborate with GMSD staff and schools to offer programs and classes to support student achievement and well-being